Friday, January 9, 2009

An Ode to Used Books on Amazon

I've been buying used books on Amazon for a couple of years, but I think the selection of books and price points has gone up significantly in the last year. Lately I've been buying most of my books this way, and I think its great way to connect sellers and buyers. Recently I've noticed more sellers from Goodwill and the Salvation Army. For my work book club (kicking off its inaugural meeting this month), we are reading Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris. I got my used copy for $2.90+$3.95 for shipping. Its from the New York Public Library and I think it was an amalgam of things that got me such a great deal.


Once in awhile it takes a few days longer than I'd like to get the book, but I've never paid more than $12 for a book (it was a new version of a hardback book that had only been out for a week or two). I've also found great treasures that I want to give as gifts like DV by Diana Vreeland or Out West by Dayton Duncan, which are harder to find in bookstores.

No comments: