This reader submitted list of small space decorating is great and it definitely applies to our sweet little 1922 gambrel. Some of my favorites:
- Get rid of the clutter. Have a place for everything and then everything can go back in its place.
- Dual purpose! Look for multiple uses in everything you buy. An ottoman is cozy, but an ottoman with hidden storage is even better.
- As for organization, really think about how you use your house. Where do you like to read your mail? Flip through magazines? Pay bills? Then place storage and trash bins in the places where you will be handling paper and other cluttering items.
- Don't be afraid of color. Yes, white makes a room look bigger, but so does dark brown glossy paint (etc) when paired with the right color furnishings.
- Arrange the space so it meets your needs for the way you truly use it, and put money into the areas where you spend the most time.
- Edit, edit, edit. Look at everything with a critical eye.
Photo from AT.