Wednesday, December 31, 2008

What a Year for New Year

What a year for a new year
We need it like we needed life I guess
Last one left us lying in a mess
What a year for a new year

Dan Wilson, "What a Year for a New Year"

As I've previously discussed, I don't like New Year's resolutions per se, but I'm all about goals. So if the two collide to make for New Year goals that I want to turn into life-long habits, then its all gravy. I've been thinking about this a ton for the last week. These are in no particular order, just what comes to mind first.

  1. Heal thy back. I have a bulging disk in my back that made parts of 2008 blurry and out of focus because of the pain. I'll be doing my back exercises, getting epidural pain shots when needed, resurrecting my pilates know-how, walking the big black dog, getting a few massages and resting in general so I can do all the fun things I want to do.
  2. Take more pictures. I love capturing everything around me, though there's lots of times I'm too caught up to remember to pull out my camera. May take a class and I really want to master all the functions of my camera.
  3. Take a class or three. Cake decorating, sewing, whatever. I just want to stretch my brain and learn some new tricks.
  4. Scale down the intensity of my procrastination skills. Yes, I'm looking at you kitchen wallpaper, bedroom in need of paint, pictures that need to be framed, basement needing organizing and other projects I just need to do.
  5. New vegetables. 2008 was all about beans, legumes, the magical fruit. This year I think I'm going to just pick unfamiliar-to-my-kitchen vegetables and make them (rutabaga, eggplant, Swiss chard, etc). Sure am glad I have the Joy of Cooking!
  6. More purposeful reading. My brief foray into group reading was an online book club in 2008, which was great, but hard to coordinate. I'm already working on this goal by copying my mom's office book club (read a book, discuss over lunch hour, bring in food related to the book). I started organizing this one yesterday.
  7. More frequent blogging. Cause its fun! Also, I need a break from writing about insurance.
  8. Remembering to have grace. When things don't go your way, when you don't understand why someone does something and when dealing with the delicate nature of human nature.

That's it. Not so unattainable since they are all things I want to do and accomplish. Happy new year!

No comments: