Monday, November 23, 2009

Favorite Holiday CDs

It feels like the holidays are really here in full force. With the Grey's Thanks-Christma-New Years episode and the completed decking of the halls of downtown Des Moines and the malls, listening to holiday music in November doesn't seem quite so intrusive this year.

Every year I look for a new compilation or few songs to add to our collection. My favorite song has always Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's Santa Claus is Coming to Town. I LOVE that version.

My second favorite, Barenaked Ladies and Sarah MacLachlan's version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman, is what lead me to my trio of favorite holiday CDs.

The song came out in 1998, but it took me a few years to track down a CD with it for my mom.
Christmas Songs, from Nettwerk Records.

A few years later, Nettwerk Records followed up with these three compilations. Maybe This Christmas is my favorite (and the first one I bought).

But I also like these two: Maybe This Christmas Too and Maybe The Christmas Tree.


Last but not least, I came to A Very Special Christmas 3, by marriage.


I have a lot of other different versions of songs I like too, but I can listen to all of these CDs in entirety over and over. What are you favorites? I've heard good things about Have a Very Merry Chrismukkah from the OC. I know last year everyone was gaga for The Hotel Cafe Presents...Winter Songs, but it was a little too winsome and angsty for me.

No comments: